Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pic-A-Week, Episode 3 | NEW TAMPA MATERNITY PHOTOGRAPHER

Maternity photography can be a rather difficult thing to do well, because the focus generally needs to be on the baby bump, and there are really only so many ways that you can shoot it without being clichè. Of course you can choose to change the scenery by leaving the studio behind and heading outdoors, but it will probably make things rather difficult if your client wants more of an intimate portrait.

So fortunately for me, as I now begin my maternity portfolio in earnest, the "client" happens to be my beautiful wife. We are expecting our precious Ainsley Claire in August, so the time is perfect for me to jump into this new genre feet first. I have been looking at lots of other photographers' work over the past couple of months trying to get a little bit of inspiration, and this particular image was inspired by a shot from the great Sandy Puc'.

To achieve the lighting effect, I placed a beauty dish with a 10° gridspot behind and slightly to the right of my wife, who was laying on the floor. I had my camera mounted on a tripod, and the tripod had to have the center pole inverted in order for me to get the camera low enough to the ground to get the angle I wanted. I then focused on her belly, put the 10-second timer on, and ran over to quickly drop into position behind her. Fortunately it only took a few shots to get it right, as I was getting out of breath from all the running around!

The shot was later processed in Nik Silver Efex Pro, and then some additional dodging and burning was performed in Photoshop to [de]emphasize certain areas and really put on the finishing touches. I hope you enjoy looking at it as much as I enjoyed putting it together! If so, hook me up with a "Like" and a comment. Thanks ya'll! =)










7 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I'd love to see the 'before and after' of this one :)

Tampa Band Photos said...

Lol, and my wife would surely divorce me! ;-)

Sarah Wilkes said...

Beautiful!

Jennie said...

Gorgeous Russ!

Tampa Band Photos said...

Thanks, Sarah and Jennie! =)

LIFE_REFACTORED said...

This is a beautiful pic and a nice light setup. It took me 4 visits before I got the answer to my question.. why does the model's right arm look so manly and why does it bend so unnatural at her right shoulders. "Has RR gone too far with the liquefy in PP", I wondered? I've been an idiot. I just now realized that the right arm belongs to another model lying on his side(pls tell me am not wrong :O). Lovely picture Russ.. excellent subject and lovely concept. This is my new personal favorite from your portfolio.

Tampa Band Photos said...

@LIFE: Thanks for your comment. Since the light is so minimal in this shot, at first glance it's kinda tough to figure out which body parts belong to which subject. But then again, it's *supposed* to be a mysterious and dramatic shot that focuses more on the elements of line and composition than your typical portrait.

So no, you are not wrong about the fact that the top arm doesn't belong to the pregnant model. In fact, it belongs to me, and the "model" is my wife. Glad to hear that it's your new favorite shot of mine. =)

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Tampa, FL, United States
I'm a commercial photographer in Tampa, FL specializing in band & musician promos, CD covers, press kits, posters, and the like. Please feel free to check out my website/blog using the link below, and give me a shout if I can be of service to you!

http://TampaBandPhotos.com

Search My Blog

Followers