Monday, March 8, 2010

Controversial Photo in Glamour Magazine | NEW TAMPA MODEL PHOTOGRAPHER


A photographer friend of mine pointed out this article to me earlier today, and I couldn't resist putting up a blog post about it, since I do quite a bit of fashion/glamour work myself (see here for examples). Once my models leave the studio and the REAL work (the image editing) begins, I often find myself in a position where I need to exercise a certain degree of....shall we say, "artistic discretion". I've certainly performed my fair share of digital plastic surgery, from something as simple as removing bags under eyes to changing eye and hair color to completely reshaping a person's body. It's amazing what can be (and is quite regularly) done in Photoshop to achieve a more flattering appearance, but the real question here is, how much is too much?

Just the mere fact that this photo in Glamour Magazine is causing a "controversy" speaks volumes about our society's perception of what is beautiful/acceptable/realistic/etc. What are your thoughts about it? Please sound off with a comment....I'd love to hear your thoughts.








5 comments:

Marla said...

Big deal. She's beautiful. Period. Not your typical fashion mag shot, but I love the smile, the lighting, the moment. I think we are all just so used to perfection in fashion mags that it's hard to accept anything else.

katie hage said...

that's a real woman for you. I love it! I need more pics like this now to relate to - having a baby has totally changed my body. This lady looks like a mommy, too. That little tummy bulge just doesn't go away and that's ok, that's real

Tampa Band Photos said...

@Katie: the post-baby tummy is next to impossible to get rid of. You just have to accept the fact that your body will never be the same.

@Marla: couldn't agree more. If this sort of thing were more commonplace, it wouldn't even register on our collective radar. But we're pre-programmed to look for absolute perfection, however unrealistic that may be.

I appreciate both of ya'lls comments.

Heather Robinson said...

I saw an episode of this on Oprah and the woman in the pic is gorgeous and a mommy. I LOVE the pic because she's real, confident and beautiful. Now we are having our 2nd daughter, I would love for our girls to see "real" women instead of these impossible standards of beauty our society has set.

ELisa said...

Absolutely love this... thanks for posting it!

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Tampa, FL, United States
I'm a commercial photographer in Tampa, FL specializing in band & musician promos, CD covers, press kits, posters, and the like. Please feel free to check out my website/blog using the link below, and give me a shout if I can be of service to you!

http://TampaBandPhotos.com

Search My Blog

Followers